Thriller Turn Comedy.......

on Saturday, July 21, 2007

According to a news article in the Star today with the title"Comedy of errors in subtitling", a thriller movie show turns into comedy because of its error in subtitling....

"Serial Killer" is translated into "Pembunuh Bijirin". If I am watching that movie also, I am sure I will laugh until my tears come out..... =))

This is a very serious error in translation. I do not know whether nowadays the subtitling for TV or movie shows are still that bad because I seldom see the subtitling. I used to see the subtitle when watching movies when I was a kid but I did not regconize any errors in the translation.. Probably I was not enough expert to recognize the error at that time.. :P

Anyone have any more example of this to share with me? :D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recall a time when watching an old movie about some people about to be killed in front of a firing line as a death sentence in a communist country.

The commanding officer yelled "FIRE!" to shoot.... and the subtitle wrote "API!".

:D

Anonymous said...

Your translation of serial is not right. Serial comes from the word series which means berturutan or siri. Bijirin is actually Cereal not serial. Don't get mad ok? :)
www.xperienceoflife.blogspot.com

Sileast Alley said...

"Bijiran sarapan pembunuh"...It is funny....hahahahahaahha...

snowswallow said...

Zach, I will not getting mad at you because I am not the one doing the translation... :)

Anonymous said...

I read about the sub standard subtittles at screenshots (www.jeffooi.com) after posting the comments on your blog.

Post a Comment