Not Getting Back Citizenship If You Gave it Up

on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

In the Star Online News today, the Prime Minister has warned that Malaysian that surrendered their citizenship might not be able to get back their citizenship. According to the Deputy Home Affairs Minister, there are 106,000 Malaysians that gave up their citizenship between 1996 and April this year.

What I surprise me most is that most of the Malaysian that gave up their citizenship are Malays (70%). In my mind, I thought the most would be the Chinese because Chinese people are known for migration. There is an old saying that if a place can be travelled by water, there is Chinese. I am now curious on the reason why these Malays are willing to surrender their citizenship. From what I know, although there are many Malaysian Chinese migrate to other countries, most of them do not surrender their citizenship. I think the government should perform a investigation on this matter (people giving up their citizeship.

0 comments:

Post a Comment